External Authentication

This topic is 6578 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I'm reading the External Authentication documentation and I'm starting to realize I've made this a whole bit more complicated that I should have.

I do not need to register my server with the directory or enter the distinguished name, or any of that nonsense. Is that accurate?

All I need is to have the FMSA registered in tyhe domain I want to use and then create groups in that domain and add users I want to access via those groups then define the access of those groups in each individual FM file. Does that sound right?

I think I've got the grasp of it all, but here are my questions. Do the users have to be in the Users OU for this to work? How about the groups? We have a very diferent setup where I am deploying this solution and our users are not in the users OU, but a different one we created.

Lastly, once I turnd on external authentication, i don't seem to be able to access the security tab and some other features within the client. Is this normal, or did i do something wrong?

Thanks!

--

Chevell

I do not need to register my server with the directory or enter the distinguished name, or any of that nonsense. Is that accurate?

Correct. This has nothing to do with External Server Authentication.

All I need is to have the FMSA registered in tyhe domain I want to use and then create groups in that domain and add users I want to access via those groups then define the access of those groups in each individual FM file. Does that sound right?

Correct.

The OU's should not be a problem. I frequently recommend creating an OU for FIlemaker users, placing the groups withon that OU, and working from there. Makes things a bit more tidy.

Finally, you can access the Define Accounts & Privileges only if you are connected with a [Full Access] account. If your Administrator account from AD is in more than one Group, as is frequently the case, then your authentication order for Accounts inside FileMaker Pro needs to be adjusted.

HTH

Steven

This topic is 6578 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.