Record already in use

This topic is 6574 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I am running our database on FM8 (just migrated last month). There are 35 files left after integrating the smaller tables into other files. My users are getting error mesages when editing records saying that the record is already being used/edited and they can't change anything. This happens when only one user is online, so it is not related to other users actually being in the same record.

My guess is that it is related to the relations between files (that are still open in the background). Does anyone know how t solve this?

Thank you for your time...

PS: I'm running FM server 8v2 on Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.6

It's not relations, it's multiple windows showing the same record and having the record open (ie, cursor in a field).

Go through your scripts and explicitly use the Commit Record step to unlock the record at appropriate places.

The "appropriate places" Vaughan is referring to are those places where the focus is changed from one file to another, or one window to another. So add that Commit Records[] step before script steps like: Perform Script [ external ], Go to Related Records [ ], New Window[], Select Window [ ], Open[], etc.

I also tend to add a Commit Records[] step at the end of scripted record creation or changes.

Hi,

Thank you for the tips!!!!

I'm stil not used to the CommitRecords script step after migrating to 8.0, seems redundant in 99.9% of the cases (in my situation anyway).

Now to check out 1300+ scripts to see which change the focus and which don't :D :(

This really isn't a server question, so if you want to continue it, please carry it over to another part of the forum. No harm done though. You might also want to read the Mega Tech Brief on Migration that covers a whole host of issues related to conversion and migration.

http://www.filemaker.com/support/upgrade/techbriefs.htm;

This topic is 6574 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.