Getting an index from a selected item in a value list

rpoelking

This topic is 8193 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a large portal showing data from specific dates. The portal is only 2 large areas with a scrollbar. Instead of making the user scroll through the portal to find a specific date I wanted to use a value list of those dates to target a portal row. i.e I select Nov 19, 2001 from the list, click a button [go to portal row number (by field?)] and (pow) I jump to Nov 19, 2001 in the portal list.

The problem is, I can't find a way to get the index of a selected item in a value list to use as my target to get to the related portal row.

Hello the Guardian,

you make this field take its value list from itself ie. in the define value list dialogue box you have the option to use values from a field just select itself, I dont know how well this will work in a portal though and beware of performance problems if you are trying to display a very large value list.

If anybody has any experience of displaying large value lists and noticed a speed drop I would be glad to hear from them I have used this method to allow users to select names from another file and so create a relationship

This topic is 8193 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.