Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Network connection timeout

This topic is 6539 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

Running FM Server 8.2 and Pro8.2 clients on OSX-Tiger.

All my users get the message that their network connection has timed-out and that all files will be closed after about 30 minutes of not using FM. I disabled the "disconnect on timeout" feature in the FM Server configuration but this does not help much (it was set to 4 hours prior to turning it completely off). I've already checked the privelege sets in all my files but the function to disconnect on idle is not enabled anywhere.

Does anyone know where I should look?

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

What is the exact wording of the error message you are seeing?

If it's the "lost connection and all files must be closed" then I suspect either the server or clients are sleeping -- fix this on the energy saver control panel.

Otherwise, remember that there are TWO places you can change idle timeout settings. The first is on the "Clients" tab of the server config. The second is a feature of Accounts & Privileges :P Edit privilege / Disconnect user from fm server when idle.

I'm not sure if these settings are in conflict, which one wins. Anyone know?

There's no conflict. In the Define Privilege Set UI, there is no option to set the time. If you're set to disconnect you will disconnect if server says disconnect. There are some rules about what happens when an edit is in process. But the timing is set in the SAT Tool, not in the client.

Steven

Maybe I'm dense, but it's not so obvious to me.

If the Server setting is "Disconnect idle clients after X" minutes, and an account privilege says has the "disconnect when idle" checkbox unchecked, I can see a reasonable argument that either behavior would make sense. The account setting could override the server setting, or the server setting could override the account setting.

There are 4 combos :

1. Server disconnect, account disconnect.

2. Server disconnect, account no disconnect.

3. Server no disconnect, account disconnect.

4. Server no disconnect, account no disconnect.

The behavior for #1 and #4 seem clear.

For #2 and #3 could make sense either way.

I'd guess that #2 = no disconnect, and #3 = no disconnect as well?

You're not dense. The settings are additive. Both must be ticked for the client to be disconnected. The Privilege Set attached to the active Account must permit disconnect. And Server must set the disconnect. FWIW, this is managed by the client once the client connects.

Steven

It's too bad the timeout duration is not also set for the account, rather than it being a global property of the server. This would be more flexible...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry, was on holiday the last two weeks.

The User Privillege Set is not set to disconnect, either is the server.

I have set the energy saving to off and this seems to have solved the problem. Many thanks!!!! Specially from my users :

This topic is 6539 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.