Scripting Filemaker sourced email???

gregcotter

This topic is 8135 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I use filemaker to send our email versions of proposals. I would like to do the following:

Filemaker composes an email in my email package; to, subject, message - all from filemaker fields on that particular record.

This is currently done by hand, ie., a series of copying and pasting between applications.

I also want to indicate in an 'attachement name' field the filename of an image I want to attach from a predefined 'drop folder' on my hard drive. That is, script will point to statis folder location, but will dynamically pick attachment based on data in the 'attachement name' field on that database record.

IS THIS POSSIBLE?

I would imagine a dose of applescript is in order, or some other scripting mechanism that oversees FM and email application activities.

I am quite fluent in Filemaker v4 and older, am clueless on applescripting, never done any.

If the attachment step is too complex, what is the best way to script the 'auto email compliation' step?

I am not thrilled with the way 4.0's Send Mail command works with my email application. Also, some coworkers email apps are not compliant with 4.0's Send Mail command, hence the above inquiry.

Any / all information is very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Greg.

It's very possible! Without some outside help, it's pretty tough getting what you want.

I use a plugin with FM Pro 5.0 called "SMTPit". And I'm actually quite proud of what I've accomplished because it took a heck of a long time to make work.

My original goal was to create a FileMaker solution that sent product quotations out via email, all with the click of a button. It has done this successfully for almost a year, and just recently I created a separate database that would perform mass emails. I just sent out an email to 400 or so prospects without a hiccup.

I have NOT done a lot with attachments because it tended to mess up my HTML emails, but I do still have the capability to attach files. What you're proposing is most certainly possible, however.

Go to SMTPit's website for more info and a downloadable demo.

This topic is 8135 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.