Pop Up list from a calculation field in a related file

Barry Joyce

This topic is 8129 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trying to produce a pop-up list to enter the ID of a record from a related file of people's names. These IDs are not very informative so I'm entering the persons name, calculated from surname and first name fields, as the second field on which I wish to sort (I've concatenated surname and first name in that order). When clicking "OK" on the 'Specify Fields for Value List' dialog box I get the following error message

"This value list will not work because the field "SortName" cannot be indexed. Proceed anyway?"

On clicking "OK" several times to get out the pop-up list works OK but is not sorted correctly and I guess when/if I have a lot of entries will work very slowly. Is there an appropriate work round or am I just not doing it correctly?

Thanks for your help in anticipation.

Barry

Use the double column "Display Also" option for the value lit. That way users see the name, and when they click on it, it enters the actual ID number.

In the People file create a stored calculation that has the last and first names. Be sure that no word is over 20 chars and that the entire name is not over 60 chars. Use this as the "dispaly also" field.

That should work.

Old Advance Man

Thanks Signal. It turns out the problem had the same solution as another I have had that I put through the Relationships thread. I had not changed the field type in the calculation dialog from the default "Number" to text. This simple change and all is well. I'll not make this mistake again!

Barry

This topic is 8129 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.