FileMaker Server Avanced on a Mini

This topic is 6524 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a customer that has had FMSA running on an old iMac, and now we are trying to move it to a much faster Mini. FMS its self works much faster, however I can not get the ODBC connection to work. So I did a fresh install of 10.4.6 server (which is what they have been using) on an external firewire drive. Installed FMSA 7.0v4 with the v5 ODBC drivers. If I attach the drive to a G5, and boot to it, everything works, including the ODBC connection. I then take the same drive and put it on the Mini, and the ODBC connection does NOT work. I have tried thsi on 2 different Mini's and get the same result.

Any ideas? I know people say not to use the Mini, but in this case, I would have to go back to a MUCH slower iMac, or try to talk them into another new Mac, and then have to shuffle computers around (Since FMP does not support server on Intel Macs)

Any help would be great!

Shawn

It will probably work, but it's not a recommended configuration.

I'm a little surprized that your client would be willing to buy Server 7 Advanced, then buy the Server 8 Advanced upgrade, but is not willing to buy decent hardware to run it.

It may not be a "recommended" config, but I am talking about a very small workgroup, only 7 users, and about 20-30 small databases, which will be changed to about 5 databases. The ODBC is for a UPS Worldship connection.

Right now, what hardware is there to run it on? You have to get a G5 of Xserver, both costing more then the 8 upgrade...

They already have the investment in the 7 Adv, and the upgrade to 8 is not that much... But again, why throw more money at it, if it is not known that it will work...

What is there in the Mini, or what is missing from the Mini, that would keep the ODBC from working? I just don't understand... Everything else works fine...

Shawn

This topic is 6524 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.