Calc Logic 101

faaslave

This topic is 5683 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a calc not working correctly, and I can't seem to find out where I went wrong.

On the chapters new layout (financial tab), you will notice some calc fields that total dues and pac money for a payperiod, and for a year. The pac calc for the year is not working correctly.

If you have another window up using the duesinput layout, perform a find in the far right column for 372 members, you will see that the calc isn't working right.

I have attached the file.

Thanks

Dave C

FAAMA.6.7.9.fp8.zip

Edited by Guest

I tracked down your problem to an auto-enter calculation called year_prefix_aec in the PAC table. It references a related field and the Left function. Unfortunately, this is not enough to trigger the auto-enter calculation. There needs to be a reference to a field within the current table. I understand why you did it. You needed the field to be stored so you could base a relationship on it. What I think you need is a fresh look at your relational structure. You've done some things very well but I feel some poor planning way have led to the issues you are currently having. I wish I could help more for free but I really think this solution needs to rethought with considerations for all the features you want.

What doesn't make sense to me is this:

The Dues fields work fine using the same tecnique that I am using for the pac fields.

So why does it work for one and not the other?

Dave

I looked at the file and it appears to be based on the same logic. It could be a difference in a script or calculation or relationship. It's hard to tell. Or, it could be you just added or updated the records in different ways. Without going through a lot of your solution (which is fairly complicated) the best I can tell you is that auto-enter calculations based on related fields don't work.

This topic is 5683 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.