Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Page numbering my printout

dshore

This topic is 6550 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a simple question, I am printing a membership directory for my club. Last year I printed the directory and was able to start the pagination in the footer starting with - Page 3 - rather than - Page 1 -.

Having a bad short term memory, I have forgotten how to start with a specific number. I do know that to execute the pagination, I need to place ## in the footer. But I'm stumped when it comes to making the page number to fit my specs.

I hoped I would be able to take it to the printer today.

Donna

Edited by Guest

Perfect! Thank you so much, Paolo. I now realize what I did, I created a bunch of dummy records to fill the first two pages, hence the starting point became Page - 3 -. Lazy plan but it worked.

Another question relating to this numerical calculation; the page numbering in the layout is a 'part' not a 'field'. Can I add the calculation to the 'part'? or should I delete the 'part' and simply make it a 'field'?

Donna

There is no need for a calculation. When the print dialog displays, you will see an option for Number Pages From. Just enter the starting page number. On Windows, this option will be easily visible when you choose Print from the File menu. Under the Macintosh OS, you'll need to select the FileMaker choice under the menu to get the FileMaker specific options to appear. BTW, the Status(CurrentPageNumber) function has changed to Get(PageNumber) in FileMaker 7 and later.

The "##" value you are asking about in your questions is actually just the pund characters in a text block. You can place them in any part you like. Again, no need for a calculation field.

Edited by Guest

John,

1. Should I delete the pagination part in my layout prior to following your instructions?

2. Also, I need to save as PDF so I can burn it on a cd for the printer. In other words, I don't want to print it, I want to save it to provide the printing company a cd instead of a bunch of loose pages.

I have Version 8.

Thank you for the valuable information,

Donna Shore

This topic is 6550 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.