Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Length of PopUp Window

tmac

This topic is 8679 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I understand that the width of a value list is determined by the width of the field it's attached to but how about the length? I'm using Arial 8 pt. and the value list gives me 10 visible choices before I need to use the scroll bar. Is there any way to exercise control over the length of this popup window and the number of options available without having to scroll?

Hi,

You might try switching from a pop-up list to a pop-up menu. The menu is the length of the entire list without a scroll bar. Include the "Other..." option and the user will be able to enter values not in the menu.

Good luck!

It worked, but in the process I've discovered something I hadn't noticed before. Two repeating fields, exactly the same size, font & pt., arranged horizontally with one formatted to use popup menu and one formatted to use popup list use different amounts of space. The popup list is much more compact. Being rather new to FM, I hadn't used popup menus much before this. They come with a built in shadow and a physical space between that isn't there with the compact popup list.

I had to drop the pt. size down then resize the field to fit my information within printable margins but it is so much more convenient than all that scrolling!

Thanks!

One note on the pop-up lists to help avoid or minimize scrolling. Once you have the pop-up list up, you can start typing and the cursor (selection hi-lite) will go to the first item found in the list with those characters. This can be extremely useful when you have a long pop-up list.

This topic is 8679 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.