Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Status of Search?

Korner

This topic is 8634 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi, I've recently been introduced to FMP 4.1 and am having a problem with configuring a "find" layout.

I have a group of 100 members who each sit on roughly 65 committees. I decided to cast one field with repeating values for the committees, and ideally would like to choose one of these committees from a value list, hit a find button, and go to a new layout that lists the committee's members.

Actually I have managed to accomplish most of this, only I am now unable to display the committee that was searched on in the "Results" layout.

Will the repeating field prevent me from displaying the search criteria, or is their a workaround - such as a script - to display the name of the committee over the members? I've fiddled with the Status() functions but no success yet . . .

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Repeating fields are horrible things to work with: they were a hastilly-cobbled-together hack to get around the lack of relational database capabilities in early versions.

Go back and spilt up your database into two related files: "committees" and "people." Then use a portal to display the members for each committee.

This solution has the advantage that you are now no longer "hard coded" into an arbitrary limit in the number of committees or members the database can work with.

This topic is 8634 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.