This topic is 6538 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have attempted to auto fill a customer ID field (pK_memberID) in a new record layout for recording taxi trip details once I select the customer from a drop down list from the member table.

On creating a new trip record, I select the member and then I select the assigned driver. I can create finds based on customer or driver name but I would like to have the member or driver ID on the layour as well, although it's not necessary.

I know that FM8 has an auto complete function built in but I would like to know how to build a script that would auto fill the customer or driver ID field or for that matter any relaited data on the form from the selected member record, such as home address, phone # etc.

Mitch

While you could do it that way, it's better to use the ID field itself as the relational key, and then just show the related Customer Name field on the layout. The selection then is done with a value list defined to show the first value from the related pk_MemberID field, and the second value from the Member Name field (you can sort by the Member Name if you wish).

The reason this is better is that relating by the Name alone can have problems when two distinct Members share a common Name.

This topic is 6538 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.