Password Problems

nelliott

This topic is 8444 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am currently using Status(CurrentUserName) to automatically install the correct user details on emails and letters. The problem with this is that it is specific to each computer i.e. the user has to always use the same computer, and it can be changed through edit -> preferences. Is there is a way of linking this to a password instead

------------------

You cannot access Fielmaker passwords. However, if you have a small number of users you can check who they are by setting their passwords to allow access exclusively to a specific field. Build a script that runs when the file opens to try to write to each of the password specific fields in turn. This will generate an error except when it accesses the field for the specific user. Trap the error by setting Error Capture On. Someone posted a script for this quite recently but I'm not sure in which forum it was.

Still another approach would be to create a global name field, and then have a start up script to take the user to this field to enter their name on launch and then proceed on. Since globals are specific to a user session it would last as long as they had that session open. Added bonus, is that you can use the global on the left hand side of a relation to pull user specific information over. And finally, you only need one field and don't to worry about the dilemmas of trying to track currentuser, currentgroup, or what password they logon under.

HTH

This topic is 8444 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.