EXPORT RECORDS from a RUN ONLY FM FILE?

This topic is 6528 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have an old Aircraft Pilot Log program written for FM5.5. It is a "run only" type of file that does not allow me to make any changes in layouts, custom reports, etc. All those options are grayed out in the FM interface. Unfortunately, it is no longer supported.

I want to upgrade to a better log book program, but I really don't want to re-enter several thousand flights worth of data! However the EXPORT function is one of the features that is grayed out and unavailable.

Is there any way I can "unlock" the files so I can gain access to the export feature?

Edited by Guest

Hi RPM,

Have you tried opening the run-time solution in FileMaker Pro? Depending on whether privileges have been set to "no export", you may be able to export the data out of the tables.

It's probably easier to get in touch with author of the original program (you should have an about screen with the authors name and details) and ask them to export the data for you. This will probably be chargeable?

Thanks for the reply, Jatz. The program already runs in Filemaker Pro. The files all end in the ".FP5" suffix, but they are "locked" in that all the usual FM options are not available. Everything is locked in the Browse mode and the export option is not available.

I'll try again to get in touch with the original author, however there is no "about screen" that I can find in the program.

On a hunch, I opened these files in FM7, which is the most current version I have. Once opened and converted to the FM7 file format, the files were no longer locked! I could get to all the options, including exporting the data I need.

Even though I can get into the layout mode, scriptmaker, etc., the program doesn't run quite right in FM7. The main screen window ends up larger than my 1600 x 1200 screen size, so there is no way to close the program...you can't get to any of the "normal" ways of closing it. I have to go into Task Manager to shut it down. Some of the layouts are fine, but the main screen---wow! It's a mess.

The bottom line - PROBLEM SOLVED!

This topic is 6528 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.