Server Maintenance This Week. ×

GTRR and external files

This topic is 6506 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We've been using Filemaker 5/6 and have recently migrated to 7, and shortly hope to move to 8. Converting our existing database files has been pretty straightforward and everything has worked well, probably because the conversion process has added extra script steps as needed.

We are now starting to develop new databases to link into existing ones, and are running into problems with the Go to Related record step. In FMP6, we would use the old GTRR command, then call an external call in the relevant database to set up the window to the correct size and with the status area hidden or shown as appropriate.

In FMP7, this all changes and it seems that you have to select the appropriate window with the select window command. My problem is that the GTRR script statement seems to set up and display a window in the external database only if it is the last step in the script. Often the window is not sized correctly or has the status panel set incorrectly. If I run a script to set this up after the select window command, I end up in the calling database, not the external one.

What am I doing wrong?

TIA

I've doing this now in FMP 8 just the same as I did in FMP 6: run a GTRR step that finds the related records but does not change layout or set a window. Then call a script in the related file that goes to the right layout, sizes the window and brings it forward.

Have you read the FMP technical briefs on migrating? One of them, I think it's "Migrating ...", has a bit to say about focus remaining in the calling script rather unexpectedly.

There is, I am sure, no way the GTRR would have any impact on window size.

Edited by Guest

I think I had got so overwhelmed with the possibilty of automatically opening a window in an external database I had assumed that the old way wouldn't work.

I'll revisit my new GTRRs and work it though the way you suggest.

Thanks

This topic is 6506 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.