Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM Pro v6 incompatibility with Mac OS X 10.4?

This topic is 6496 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm using a very simple FileMaker Pro 6.0v4 on two networked Macs. After upgrading to Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger), I now get error messages on the connecting Mac when I try to access the database over the network on the Mac that is hosting it. Then the only way it will work is to use "Open Remote" feature.

Is there a know problem with FM Pro v6 on Tiger? Do I need to upgrade my FM Pro?

Thanks,

Eric

I now get error messages on the connecting Mac when I try to access the database over the network on the Mac that is hosting it. Then the only way it will work is to use "Open Remote" feature.

What are the error messages? How was the remote computer connecting to the host before?

Eric:

Welcome to the Forums.

Your question is a bit puzzling, because "Open Remote" is the ONLY way you should be accessing the database from the second (as you say 'connecting') Mac. If you were to open the database via OS-level file sharing, you're inviting trouble in the form of a corrupted database file.

-Stanley

• Newbies

OK - please forgive my ignorance....

I've got two licensed copies of FM Pro installed on two machines on the net work. I've got the actual database document installed on only one of the machines. Could someone give me step-by-step instructions on the easiest and most reliable way to have one machine "host" the database and the other machine connect to it?

Thanks in advance...

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Eric:

Let's call the machine which physically hosts the data files "A" and the other one "B". On "A" you'll open the files in FMP. On "B" the user will launch FileMaker and then, via the "Open Remote.." dialog, will open the files.

This is all covered in the manual & on-line documentation (I don't have a FileMaker 6 manual any more, so I can't give you a page number) under "Sharing Your Data" or something like that. The things to make sure of are: the files should be set to Visible Multi-User, FileMaker's networking should be set to TCP/IP, and the machines should be connected on a network. You may have to enter the IP address of machine "A" into the Open Remote dialog on machine "B".

The user on "A" can work with the files regardless of what the user on "B" does.

No matter what you do, do NOT allow "B" to navigate via file-sharing to the files on "A".

-Stanley

This topic is 6496 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.