Can different security level affects how FM works?

mf

This topic is 8145 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The reason I am posting here is that apparently the application I developed "crashes" when the user logs in with a certain password and not with another...

I am baffled. I can't make the application crash.

I have defined 4 levels of password (no group).

1. No restriction (developer)

2. Can browse, edit, delete, create, print, export (application "manager")

3. Can browse, edit, print, export (writer)

4. Can browse, print, export

The crashes happens with the 4th level only. It does not occur consistently (but often enough to annoy the users...). I have logged on using that password, try to reproduce the problem, works fine for me... I have gone to one of the users' location, asked to show me how it happens (I was there for 2 hours, no crash...) The application has never crashed for the writers or the manager or myself.

We have changed how the 4th level users access the database by copying the application to their local server every night (the users are located throughout the country). They even copied the application on their local drive: they still crash. They say that if the application crashes once they can't go back in. They need a "fresh" copy to continue working.

It appears that the crashes happen in 2 different places:

1. when they select the records that get exported to a temporary file (located on c:temp)??? during the export I suspect.

2. Just as the preview the print.

I am upgrading all the machines to have at least 192 MB RAM (that's what I have on my machine), we use Windows NT 4 and FMP 5.0v1 and are using FM Server and Unlimited. I am going to install VNC on all machines so I can see what is going on (but I can't leave it on all the time as it really slows down the performance for the users).

Sorry for long-winded message. Do any of you really beleive that the problem lies with the security access or elsewhere?

Thanks for your suggestions.

This topic is 8145 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.