Commit/Revert Record in 8.5

This topic is 6513 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

In 8.0 I've found the commit/revert record feature to be user-UNfriendly, specifically because of the following scenario:

If a user inadvertently clicks outside of a field while entering data, then he/she is presented with a "Save changes to layout?" dialog, provided the "Save record changes automatically" option is unchecked in Layout Setup. This can get quite annoying after a while.

Has this behavior changed at all in 8.5? I was hoping to be able to suppress this dialog.

.. Get them to not click out "inadvertantly" - in a general sense i personally only dont save record changes automatically in a critical area of the database.

How else would FM make sure that the data is saved?

Hi Genx,

I would like to have two buttons on each data entry layout: Cancel and Save. The Cancel button would revert the record, and the Save button would commit the record. I can still do this of course, but from a user interface standpoint, I would prefer to suppress that "Save changes to layout" dialog.

Yeah, i understand but FM couldnt guarrantee that every single developer provide at least a save button hence the way it works.As a word around, try to get your users to avoid clicking out to on the layout anywhere by either a) getting them better mice :P or ??? by setting up the tab order properly so they dont have to click anywhere.

Also, I believe you can do some tricks with the layout, such as putting a giant field taking up the full-layout, behind all the other fields, so that it's nearly impossible to "click out" of every field? I've not tried this, tho.

You can even make that field a button, which shows a dialog saying "Hey, don't click here, use the Tab key!"

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6513 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.