Field Value lookup from another file

This topic is 8243 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone,

I have what seems like a simple task but is not working. Here is what I have so far.

I have a db file I am sharing over the web using web companion and I am trying to setup a relationship for some of the fields.

What I have is a popup list of tapes from a "tape" db list. What I want to have happen is when a user chooses a tape from the list I want the cost field to lookup the cost value from the "tape" database.

In the tape database I have 3 fields:

1) title

2) cost

3) item number

I have the field lookup for the tapes set to lookup the tape names from the "tape" db. But when I try to create a relationship for the tape name to tape price to the tape cost file, I get nothing in the tape price field.

I hope this make sense to someone besides myself.

I REALLY appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance,

Don Andrzejczak

Dmacman

Maybe I’m missing the point here, and web hosting is not my strong point, but if you use a unique ID for each item in your tape file (the tape name for example) and then in your related file use a relationship based on this key. Now you need a portal with one row and the Tape name field as a popup. If a user chooses an item in the tape field set in a portal, any other fields from the master file that are also set into the same portal (price for example) will also display.

It sounds to me like something is not right with your relationship – could it be that you have a non-indexed field somewhere, i.e. a global field. Or are you sure that your relationship keys are both of the same type left and right?

Hope this helps,

Rigsby

Awesome! Thanks, I think I am finally getting to understand relationships.

What I did was setup a field called "tape 1" which is a popup list from the file called tapes. Then I setup a field called "tape 1 cost" which is a lookup from the tapes file and then displays the price.

Kool!!!

Thanks a LOT

Don Andrzejczak

Dmacman

This topic is 8243 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.