Question on passwords for web companion and local data access

This topic is 8085 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

You've already answered question #1.

"#2) for local data access (and remote) require a password to get into the database."

You can create a button/link for "Admin" (or whatever) which takes client to a name / password entry schema. You can create your own security protocol within FMPro.

I do not have the link for "admin", but I do use my own security protocol. Visit my site to see one example. Register a name and password (doesn't need to be you). That is a two-step process. From "Run another script" you will be asked to enter that username and password. A search is performed on that which will allow a number to be incremented or which will ask you to re-submit the username and password if there is no match (user error).

OK, but is it possible to set access permissions in FileMaker so that if someone on the local network tries to access FileMaker through using the Hosts button from within another version of FileMaker they have to use a password (yes, I know how to do this one on its own). But if people are accessing certain records I have set up to be displayed throuh web comanion via CDML web pages they do so without the need to know or enter a password?

[ March 30, 2002, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Larry Ross ]

Is it possible to:

#1) set up a database that when using web companion with custom web publishing that a user goes to a web page with CDML and sees what data I want them to see without having to enter a password (I know this is easy to do on its own) and at the same time...

#2) for local data access (and remote) require a password to get into the database.

I can get #1 to work by having no access privleges set.

I can get #2 to work by setting up access privleges, but then anyone trying to see my web page with the CDML data needs a password.

Can these 2 senarios co-exist?

LR

[ March 30, 2002, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Larry Ross ]

This topic is 8085 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.