Access to certain fields

j0dyj

This topic is 8562 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Why is it that you can set up user groups with different access and it even give you the option to make a specific field view only, but then it denies access to the entire layout?

I am trying to set up three groups to view the same layout, but one group should not be able to view one of the fields.

Now, I can set it up so that I create a different layout for them to view, but how can I set it up so that by using a specific password, it will go right to the correct layout?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

First make sure to select the the group, then the password associated with the group. Now with the group selected you can click on the bullets in the layouts and fields to control access. A black bullet mean access grant, a white outlined bullet is read only, and grayed out bullet mean no access.

Odds are that if you are getting the access denied on the layouts, you have not actually associated the login password with a group, or you have clicked on that layout to grayed out.

HTH

Nope, when I try to deny access to just one or two fields, it blocks access to the entire layout. I know that I have associated a group to a password and it reads that the layout is accessable, but not the fields, yet it denies access to the entire layout. I'm using FM 4.1, maybe they have fixed this feature for 5...

Admittedly, I am using 5.0, but, I am not having the problem you describe, and I don't remember it being a problem when I developed in 4.1.

Check one other thing, on the password side check to make sure that you have not create this password with complete access to the file. That the only other thing I can think of the could cause a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

The easiest way to block field access to certain groups is to create alyout without the field and let them view that. The Status[CurrentGroup] function helps with this.

This topic is 8562 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.