FM8 Server Hosting Slow

This topic is 6471 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am running into a problem with Filemaker 8 server. The problem is that I have roughly about 115 databases being hosted on the server and when I have to close all the databases and reboot the server and rehost all the databases it takes a VERY long time for each database to open so that there hosted for my openers to work. Were running with a 3.6 Zeon with 1gb of ram.

Anyone run into this issue??

Thanks!

You haven't said how slow, so it's hard to say if what you're experiencing is abnormal.

One thing off the bat is that your physical RAM seems pretty low for a server with so many files. I don't know if upping the RAM would help speed up the opening of the files, but it should help performance overall.

Are you closing the files with the Remote Administration Tool before stopping the service and restarting the computer?

If not, the files aren't being closed properly becauase the service is being killed by the OS. When FMS starts again it has to perform consistency checks on them -- this can take a while.

Restarting the server without first closing the files will one day corrupt the files beyound repair.

This topic is 6471 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.