Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM8 Server not saving changes to DB's

This topic is 6475 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello FMP Gurus, I have an odd issue that hopefully someone here has come across before...

We have a server with a boot and data partition. The FMP database files reside on the Data partition. We also have a FW hard drive that is partitioned exactly like the server's hard drive, and receives clones nightly.

Our database seems to be just keeping the changes we make in RAM but not flushing its RAM cache to disk like it should. Thus when the server is restarted, all changes since last restart are lost!! Bad news. The modification dates on the FMP DB files do not update. I see its possible to distribute the cache flush over a certain amount of time, and we have it set to go every minute - no effect!

I noticed that one of our database files was running off of the FW hard drive, so my first order of business was to tell FMP not to look to additional areas for DB files..then disconnected the FW drives and restarted.

Here's how I resolved the issue, but it doesn't explain WHY the issue popped up to begin with...

I noticed that one of our database files was running off of the FW hard drive, so my first order of business was to tell FMP not to look to additional areas for DB files..then disconnected the FW drives and restarted.

FMP Support suggested moving the DB to the root library...I relocated the database files to the root Library, and put aliases to those DB files in their original location on the Data partition. We made some test changes, rebooted the server, and the changes remained. So this issue is "solved" but what I'd like to know is, why does FMP allow you to run a database from any location, but only work properly for us when we store our files in the root library!?

Any help would be appreciated!

Works great here (OSX). I put my databases inside my default User's folder, which helps me remember to back them up. I tend to forget about stuff buried in the /Library folder -- in my mind, /Library is not a valid location for data files of any sort :

This topic is 6475 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.