can't close the related file!!

T

This topic is 6468 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there

I'm having trouble after migrating to FM8 from FM5 where i can't seem to be able to tell it to close certain files that are open in the background once they were opened once. Example is when I go to a particular layout in database X that calls on another database to open say database Y, and even if i go out of that layout in db X to another one that doesn't require db Y, I still can't get FM to close db Y. There are no other files open that I can see that require db Y but I can't get it to close it!! what can i do? am i missing something??

I'm having trouble after migrating to FM8 from FM5 where i can't seem to be able to tell it to close certain files that are open in the background once they were opened once.

Yes. This is a difference in the behaviour of the application since the release of version 7. FileMaker manages file references explicitly and closure of files referenced on the graph is handled in a way which is different from earlier versions. This is because of the different reference relationship mechanisms and the caching system which supports it.

but I can't get it to close it!! what can i do? am i missing something??

It might be helpful if you were to indicate what it is you are trying to do and why this is a problem for you. Why exactly do you need to close the related file.

I v6 and earlier, one of the more common reasons for wishing to close a file was so as to log in with different privileges. Another was so it would not appear in the Window menu (or as a minimized brick on Windows). However from v7 onward, it is possible to re-login to a file without closing it, and to hide a file so that it doesn't appear on the window menu - or as a minimized object.

If you're able to indicate what the issue is that you're actually trying to solve, there may be an alternative way of achieving it. :Whistle:

I have a VPN where a central computer in one location connects to a number of stores periodically every day and needs to close all files from one location so it can connect to the next location. It is also a problem when the sites log onto a specific file at the head office to look up some info and I want them to close it as they leave that particular layout as sometimes the VPN fails and they end up showing 'file missing' on that layout when they come back to it, whereas if they were able to only open it when they need to see it and close it 'behind them' it minimises such problems..

This topic is 6468 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.