simple picture import

This topic is 8555 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Since you posted this to the AppleScript forum, I'm assuming that you know AppleScript.

FileMaker unfortunately can't import dynamically named files. I've solved this problem before by taking the file whose name I know from a field, and using AppleScript to duplicate the file to a known location with the name Dummy, overwriting any Dummy file it happens to find there. FileMaker's import script step is then set to import this Dummy file. Have FileMaker import that actual graphic instead of a reference to the graphic, however.

Chuck

Well, it might be an issue of the trade off. I don't know much about importing pictures via a browser, but the solution might involve more than FileMaker can do alone. Perhaps one of the plug-ins out there can handle the work. I think a new plug-in came out recently that allows you to get the file path for a picture imported as a reference. Perhaps it does more. I don't know the name of it, though. Take a look around www.fmplugins.com and see if you find what you need.

The answer might also be using more than one application to connect what it does to FileMaker.

I would try to think about the limitations FileMaker has and then think about what you need to accomplish. Think about what steps the computer would have to do to get to your goal, and see if there are other applications that can be automated with AppleScript to get the job done.

Chuck

This topic is 8555 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.