Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Opening/closing files based on separation model

AnneES

This topic is 6439 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All

I am trialling the separation model.

I divided an existing file in 2, one for the client (layouts, scripts etc) and one for the server (only data). I created a file reference in the client file to access the data on the server and it all seems to work well. (Thanks for all the great posts in this forum!)

For my current solutions I use an opener script to check the server's open and to correctly locate the remote file (also thanks to Forum advice). But it seems with the file reference set up you are not actually "opening" the external file.

Therefore, what is the best practice for opening and closing solutions based on the separation model with the file reference set up?

Thanks for your help.

Anne

Whoops. The Separation Model™ does not require that the UI/Logic file be on the local computer. it can be on the server as well. Indeed, that is almost certainly the best approach.

The separation is between the data and the UI/Logic, not between FileMaker Server and a user's workstation.

Steven

Indeed, the only reason I am trialling this model is for a dbase which will have about a half a dozen users, all of whom will be using dialup or wireless access to the server from remote places.

I picked up the idea from another post to put the UI on the client machine so that the server does not have to "serve" graphics etc, just the data. It has certainly sped up the process of loading layouts and the navigation.

Do you think this is not a good idea? I am open to other suggestions.

thanks

Anne

This topic is 6439 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.