New record via portal

mcallaham

This topic is 8443 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I apologize if this is too basic. I have previously used portals to link to related databases and create new records (in the related db) by entering data straight into the portal. However, now I am getting the message whenever I try to do this that the field (in the child database) cannot be modified until given a valid value, and no permutation of data is ever accepted as valid by FM. I also notice that no list of records shows up in the portal (only the top row is active at all). I have checked that the field types are correct, new record creation is authorized in the related db, and the data entry clearly fits in the parameters for that field. Is this familiar to anyone? I cannot figure out what I've done wrong.

• Newbies

No, what seems to be the problem is that the parent database uses a user ID number, which has related information stored in another db. What I am trying to do is allow a user in the parent to ADD their user ID and info to the related db, without actually going to that db. It seems to me the only way to do that is first create a record in the parent that contains the new User ID, and then add the related data in a portal. But that creates extra (mostly empty) records in the parent. Any better solutions?

This topic is 8443 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.