Server Maintenance This Week. ×

System recommendation?

dgabriner

This topic is 6413 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am looking for a recommendation for a new system for our filemaker server. We have about 30 different databases, some small, some big, that all interact with each other. The application is in constant use throughout the day, and it manages our entire calendar system, client requests, and many other things. There are usually about 10 clients logged onto the system.

A lot of things we do are rather quick, but anytime I change add a field, or change a table occurance relation, I feel the "hang" of the system working. Also, we have a few scripts that take way too long, and although the are doing some complex calculations with appointment times and other information, they really should be quicker.

We currently are using a PC, with an AMD Anthlon XP 2700+ processor, 1 gig of ram, and two mirrored 80 gig HDs. However, we are only "using" half a gig of RAM (according to the tech guy, I'm not exactly sure what he means). We have an extremely fast network, so I doubt that is a bottleneck. We are currently using FM Server 7, with FM 8.5 clients, but I think we are about to upgrade our server to 8.

Our local tech guy recommended a system with 2 (or 3) gigs of ram, an intel core 2 duo processor, and 4 80 gig HDs for a RAID 1 + 0 setup. Should we do this on a mac or PC?

Thanks for any help on the subject.

This topic is 6413 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.