Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Strange Script error only on PCs - network related?

MorFologist

This topic is 6406 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

FileMaker 5 server on OS9 mac on Lan A (##.##.A.##)

FileMaker 5.01 clients on PC. FM5/6 on Macs, on Lans B and C. All users set to TCP/IP. Dev Mac has AT disabled.

Recently the IT dept changed IP addresses, but all seems fine as I gave them a desktop launch file to locate the host's IP, thus they just modified that.

Many scripts still show the old IP but I can click to toggle them when I come across that, but I haven't tried to fix them all.

I have a dashboard that calls up the hidden files via an external script. One file named calendar.fp5 now behaves bizarrely (this could predate the IP switch).

From only the PCs, clicking on the script states that TravelCalendar.TCA cannot be found and may be damaged. Hoping it was just IP confusion I rebuilt the script only to discover that clicking on the script step toggles it from Calendar.fp5(correct IP) to TravelCalendar.TCA (no IP). Reminds me of when Appletalk was in play, but this is only happening from the PC. TCA is a department in this client, and the users often ignore file extension rules. I am imagining somehow a user on the network is publishing this calendar in some way and FileMaker is tripping over this. could it be the secondary protocol of IP-X...?

Any Ideas? I need to point IT in a direction.

PS

Never mind, something I did finally fixed it. Wish I knew what!

Edited by Guest
resolved issue

This looks a file reference issue. File references are a list of the file locations (local and network) of external scripts, value lists, and relationships. In FM7 and later, these can be manually changed if a file location changes. In FM6 and below, file references are kept internally. In some cases, resetting the path to the file within the script, value list, or relationship definition will take care of the problem. If it doesn't you may need Metadata Magic's File Reference Fixer to go through and clean up the file references (this is a great tool anyway, especially if you plan on converting a solution to FM7/8).

Thanks for the utility referral!

I am actually building the replacement for this system from scratch, but I have to keep it running a few more months before this group gets upgraded. Funny file reference, I searched the entire company's shared servers looking for that strangely named file. It is cured for now, but shall remain a mystery as to how some oddball file from another application got entangled into FileMaker! Perhaps it was only on the PCs as they are on a different LAN, and some user is publishing that file off their C drive.

Love your screenname, BTW - ref to Ender's Game?

This topic is 6406 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.