external authentication + active directory subdomain?

This topic is 6344 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I've got Fm7 talking to Active Directory and users in the primary domain can authenticate without issue.

Recently a subdomain was created for users in another office.

For some reason none of those users are able to authenticate. We're using the "SUBDOMAINUSERNAME" string for logging in, but it just doesn't allow them in.

I've created a group on the subdomain, added it to the list of available accounts/groups on the database, and put user accounts in the group. So far nobody can access anything if they are a member of the subdomain.

FileMaker support gave me the "we don't support external authentication" line, which was less then satisfactory.

My only other option is to configure a second instance of FM server that authenticates directly to the subdomain, which might work, but I can see no reliable way to keep the databases in sync so it may be no option at all.

I have other systems that use LDAP to authenticate and they are able to see and authenticate teh subdomain users perfectly fine. So I don't see this as something AD related as much as something wrong with the way I've configured things, or with how FileMaker interacts with AD.

Anyone run into this adn/or have suggestions? Would appreciate the help.

Thank you.

Recently a subdomain was created for users in another office.

Server 7 does not support trusted domains. Server 8 does. This was one of the principal changes from 7 to 8.

One thing you might try is to make an Organizational Unit and stick the users from the other domain into that. I doubt it will work, but it might.

FileMaker support gave me the "we don't support external authentication" line, which was less then satisfactory.

Do you have a Tech Support Case Number or name of who told you this?

Steven

• Newbies

I didn't get the name of the person, but they did recommend I come here and look around. So they weren't completely useless.

The upgrade to 8 did fix the problem! I had already bought it, just haven't had a chance to kick the tires before I deploy it to our users. I suppose that alone was worth the price.

Thank you for your help.

This topic is 6344 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.