Bizzaro Mac installation prob

This topic is 6394 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all. Just got the disc, and have a big problem. The installer app shows up as a document, and no amount of digging into the file settings or the package contents have helped. Granted it's a Carbon app and I can't remember what's what with the file bits, but I've tried quite a bit of futzing with Xray.

I tried making a new admin account (advice of the FM phone tech) - no luck. Full perms fixup - no luck. Fixup of the Installer Vise app inside the package - no luck. Like I said, I'm a little lost with a Carbon app, but frankly the Info bits seem munged up to me. Any help appreciated!!

Yikes! I have never had a problem with an installer before. It seems like there is something wrong with your FileMaker CD or your system software. I'd place my bets on your system software. Try reinstalling your OS and see if that helps. Otherwise, you'll need to talk to FileMaker technical support. I usually don't refer people to them but in this case, they should be familiar with installation issues. What you probably need to do is make it past front-line support. Call in and humor the front-line support but when it becomes clear they can't solve your problem, ask to be escalated to a senior representative. And, don't be fooled by the trick where they tell you to try something and call back if it doesn't work. That just means they don't know what to do. Make them stay on the phone.

Thanks. I went thru the wringer with them, and spent about 3 hours trying different things: new admin acct, different startup disks, picking apart the perm bits, and so on. Eventually they were convinced that since even the filenames were wrong, the disc was bad and they didn't have a clue how to extract the installer. The killer was that after this, they sent me to Sales, who didn't want to send me a new CD for free w/o a case number. So I jump back in and get a new case #, blah blah blah. I have to wait a week to 10 for a new one. You know they have to paint the top by hand....

My first bad disc since about 1986!

This topic is 6394 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.