Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Security Update Breaks Runtimes!

This topic is 6359 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

One of the most recent Windows XP security updates has broken FM 8-FM 8.5 runtimes. (It might affect more those are just the only ones I have to try). The application will launch once, and then quit running the next time they try and launch it. As of right now I have only found one way to fix this issue:

1) Moved all the runtime dll's to the system32 folder.

2) deleted msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll from the runtime because there is one in the system32 folder

3) Changed the program compatablities to run as a Windows 98 and input settings box checked.

4) Turn off advanced attributes for "file is ready for archiving" and "for fast searching"

This seems to fix the issue, if anyone else has any information, or anyone knows why this would happen, please post it here so we can keep track of it and any progress made.

Edited by Guest
Change all caps to words

Here is what I have found...

It appears to be a problem with the Support.dll file inside of the runtime. If you move this file out of the root folder of your runtime, the runtime seems to launch fine. However, when I move this file, it seems that my web viewer stops working, and causes my runtime to hang up whenever I hit a layout that uses the web viewer.

I'm not hearing anything back on this? Am i to assume that I'm the only person having this issue? Or has no one upgraded their xp in a few weeks :P

I'm having a similar problem. Am not sure when I last updated XP but it would be within the last week or two.

I thought my installer, which I just updated, was giving me grief. Began narrowing it down and it isn't the installer but seems to be some weird time-consuming loop in XP. The runtime shows up in the Task Manager but does nothing and eventually just disappears.

I have tried running the app using my 'main.usr' but even that won't run.

Then tried moving support.dll but the app wouldn't start because support.dll wasn't there.

I've promised my customer a new CD to-morrow!!! AAAAARGH!!

Edited by Guest

What a way to spend Sunday!

After spending hours running every nasty-checker under the sun, upgrading sundry bits and pieces, I am back where I started. I have eliminated what I thought might be XP hogging the CPU. Performance is now fine.

I re-created the runtime and the only minor thing left is that the it still will not start. The actual .exe file starts and stops immediately. It is visible for a nanosecond or two in the list of processes.

I tried moving support.dll but the runtime told me it couldn't find it, so couldn't start.

The runtime, with the dll in place, will not start on a Win2000 machine.

It certainly looks as though something is interfering with the runtime creation, rather than the OS platform interfering with the runtime. I've created a few runtimes in the last week or so; how can I tell when XP was last updated? (I don't have auto-install flagged but MS seems to ignore that sometimes.)

I've earned a Scotch. Well, I'm going to have one anyway.

... We'll find out in a minute, I've racked up about 3 months worth of updates... (too lazy to hit the install button) so i'll install and will try leave out the most recent ones to work out exactly which update it is.

Okay well... I installed all 33 updates i racked up over the past couple of months (installing the last 5 from nov 8-23 one at a time).. My runtimes still run perfectly fine on Win XP SP2, now fully updated (Running FM 8 Advanced v3 to gen Runtimes)

And on that note, I think i've earned a scotch aswell :)... not that i'm of legal drinking age, and even though i don't drink...

Hmmm, maybe coke will do :)

Goodluck anywho guys, let us know if you work out ht eproblem

Scotch and sleep cleared my brain. :yay:

Tried all my recent runtimes. Problem appeared first two days ago. Re-created a runtime just now - no problem!

I THINK that my problem was due to having different names for the .exe and the folder holding the runtime. (Am going to check when I have some time.) Sounds crazy but it seems to be the only odd thing about the one remaining runtime that will not run. (I've deleted a lot of them but they were all attempts at using a different name from the one I usually use.)

I do know that I found that changing the name of the .exe stops it from running.

So, sorry, ZeroT and Genx, it seems my problem has nothing to do with XP updates. :party:

I THINK that my problem was due to having different names for the .exe and the folder holding the runtime. (Am going to check when I have some time.) Sounds crazy but it seems to be the only odd thing about the one remaining runtime

Nope. Checked both changing the name of the .exe and also having different folder and .exe names. Both worked fine.

I can only guess that there was some nasty on my machine and my cleanup got rid of whatever it was.

I figured out my problem with this last wed. right before I left for the holidays and never checked back. Sorry!

Here is what I found. The problem was not the support.dll, it was a plug-in I use. FtpIt. Once I removed that plug-in everything started working fine again. I'm thinking that one of the XP updates had an issue with loading the plug-in. Although I must say that I did not use that plug-in any time in my runtime. And I also use two of troi's plug ins (File and Text) and had no issue with either of those. The plug in was just automatically set up to jump into my runtimes folder, and since I took it out, everythings been fine.

This topic is 6359 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.