Filemaker files are read only on a mac but not on PC...????

angelleye

This topic is 6337 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We've been running FM Server on a windows server for awhile now. We've got un's and pw's setup that give appropriate access, be it read only, write, or full access, etc. We simply log into FM with a username and we get those permissions...like it should be.

Well, we just recently moved FM Server and our FM files onto a Mac server. It's got more CPU power than our current server so we figured we'd give it a shot. We've got everything moved onto it but now even if I log in with a full access user I can't create new records or anything because everything is read-only.

I also have web applications that use a full access user to insert data into the db and it's returning a read only error as well.

Any information I can get on what might be causing this even though we're logging into filemaker with full access users would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

When you move files into the Data directory on the Mac, the files don't automatically acquire the permissions of the parent folder. But FM Server needs read and write access to the files it shares.

What you'll need to do is close the open files in Server, then highlight them in the Finder and select File->Get Info. In there, set the Group to 'fmsadmin' with 'Read and Write' permission.

Every time you move new files into the Data folder in the Finder, you'll need to check these file permissions.

This topic is 6337 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.