What to do to avoid duplicate of allocation?

malagasy

This topic is 6348 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I question for u guys more experienced than me when it comes to filemaker and database.

I have a database for which I'd like something fairly easy.

For everyone to understand, I'll use an analogy:

I have clients going to concerts. I have allocated tickets that cannot be alocated twice a same day. How do I make sure of this when I take my client's order ?

Exemple:

Concert is on Monday, T, W, TH, F, S and S

10 allocated tickets for each session (1 to 10).

On M, 4 customers so allocation of 1,2,3,4

On T, 10 customers so allocation of 1 to 10.

I dont want any mystake when allocating tickets (repetition).

Hope I am clear.

Thanks for your help.

Your example isn't totally clear, but let me try to nudge this along. Tell me where I get this wrong...

You have a table with Concerts, and a table with tickets. You want to be sure that the number of tickets for any concert doesn't exceed a particular number.

One way to do this would be to create the number of tickets in advance with a looping script. These tickets records would display in a portal, and on this portal, you have a button that allows you to assign tickets to customers.

Another way (not involving advanced record creation) would be to create a calculation that counts the number of related ticket records *before* allowing a ticket to be assigned. A button on the concert page would test this. Your concert record would have a field to designate the maximum number of tickets to allow, which you would enter when you added the concert.

A third way would be to create a script that asks you to select a customer, specify a number of tickets, and then creates the ticket records until the number of tickets either matches the maximum for the concert or the customer's maximum. This last method would work best if you are assigning a block of tickets all to one customer.

Obviously, these are very different approaches, with advantages and disadvantages for each. Depending on your needs, one might work for you.

HTH,

David

This topic is 6348 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.