Filemaker Display problems

RiddleofSteel

This topic is 6338 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a laptop that runs both Filemaker Advanced 8.0 V3 and 8.5. It's a Dell Inspiron 9300 with 1gb of RAM and an ATI Radeon X300, Windows XP Pro SP 2 all updates.

For whatever reason, if my laptop is not restarted for a few days, the display of Filemaker gets out of whack. If I go into Layout mode, I can't see any of the borders of any text objects or any objects at all. When I go into a field and I try to type into it, you can't see any of the text you are typing. When I click out of it, whatever you typed in there will be displayed. All button effects do not show up at all in any format such as Bezeled, Chiseled, Drop Shadow, etc.

This is driving me crazy, and the only thing that fixes it is restarting my laptop. I have done a complete Windows XP reisntall of this machine and it worked fine for a while before it came back. I also have reinstalled Filemaker and all of my video drivers. Nothing seems to fix this. This is the only computer where I have this problem, and I suspect it is related directly to the video card or their drivers.

I had these problems as well when I only had either Advanced 8.0 V3 installed or Advanved 8.5 by themselves. It also doesn't matter whether I'm running the Files from the server or locally.

Has anyone else had weird display problems as well? If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears, as I'm getting really tired of rebooting my ******* laptop every few hours to get my work done!!

I'm using a Dell 600M and I find that by the end of the day my screen writes are Veeeerrrry slooooww and I need to reboot. That's on FM or Outlook or a web page. I thought it may be a memory leak causing the problem which is common on windows. It would be nice to find out what the problem is though. Anyone have any ideas?

I see it start slowing down after about a week but i have an IBM T43 -- also 1gig ram.

Behaves fine with me.. but it's got to do with the ram .. why? Because the only thing that happens when you reset is you ram is wiped.. (overstatement, relevant thing). Try increasing your virtual ram allocation in control panel --> System --> Advanced --> Performance Settings --> Advanced --> Virtual Memory --> Change -- Mines set to 1.5Gig at this stage and like i said it behaves well for long periods.

I set my virtual ram to the max as defualt to 4096 mb. All of my computers are set to that, as I've learned that as a best practice over the years.

I hate to say it, but I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one with these type of issues.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6338 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.