Implications of field validation

This topic is 6331 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I am starting with FM8.5 coming from FM6. I am not sure of the implications of selecting Always or Only dunring data entry in Validadte data in this field. II do not undertand the advantages of having this 2 new options.

I understand that Only during data entry validates while the user enter data in the field, and Always validates also during scripts and imports. But it is not clear:

- which option is best to use in most fields

- when is best to use Always

- under what circunstances should I use one or the other

For instance, what will be the problem if I use Only during data entry for all my fields? (leaving aside data import issues).

Thanks

Hi,

If you still desire to contemplate this issue, as I see it "only during data entry" keeps the field from validating during an import or a script which changes the value.

I use "always" if the validation is a deal breaker for my logic, otherwise I use "only during data entry". Fields that will be populated only thru data entry will validate no matter which option you choose.

FWIW, I see this to be the difference between the two options. This was confusing to me to begin with also.

HTH

Tim

Thank you Tim. Yes, I am still trying to figure out which fields should use either option and under what circumstances. I am tempted to use the option Always for most fields under most situations. I do not see this could cause as many problems as the other way around.

Regards

This topic is 6331 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.