To Begin at the Beginning.. With an install CD and blank database

SavannahPatsy

This topic is 6344 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I need some help. At my last job I was introduced to a fully functioning 7-year compilation version of filemaker, customized perfectly for the company's needs. At my current job, I'm trying to implement filemaker as a scheduling/organizational tool completely from scratch. The core compontents are Clients, Jobs applied to Clients, and Vendors. Do I create a separate database for each of these and then link tables/fields within them together? I need them to pull information from each other and I'm not sure of the most efficient way to begin.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

You do not need to have separate databases just separate tables. It seems like it will be difficult to help you in this forum when you are at such a beginning level. I was in a similar position about a year ago :) This forum is more based on helping with the technical sides of developing with filemaker but can't really help explain the fundamentals of database design. I would suggest reading some books on database design - my personal favorite which got me from ground zero to where I am now is a series called "Using Filemaker" by Steve Lane & Co. I have "Using Filemaker 7" but they have also published a new version "Using Filemaker 8". What's great about this book is that it does walk you through the fundamentals of database design and also covers more advanced topics. Its a large book and will help you through all of the stages of development.

It seems like it will be difficult to help you in this forum when you are at such a beginning level

I'll have to argue with you on that one, this forum is for ALL skill levels -- hell i was in this position 1 1/2 years ago, and would probably still be there if it wasn't for the help I've received and things i've learnt on these forums.

But i do recommend a lot of reading anyway, or maybe lynda.com stuff for an intro.

This topic is 6344 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.