grabbing data from one table to use in a record in an other

TDebb8594

This topic is 6309 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The forums have been a great help to me in the past, I'm hoping they will again.

I am creating a multiple table database. I have a table for employees and a table for funding memos. (and several other tables) I want to use information from the employees records to create funding memos for each employee. There will be many memos for each employee. For instance I'd like the name, title and employee number to auto fill on a new record in the memos table. I can't seem to accomplish this and I have been looking through the forums for a couple hours trying to find the solution. :)

Thanks for any help.

What do you mean by grapping?? The issue is if it's meant to be a relational system should data ideally reside in one unique spot, and if it should be displayed somewhere else needs a relation make the link allowing the field to occure on another To's layout.

Other options is lookup or unstored calc'fields ...but by and large does it seem like you haven't paid enough attention to Harris brilliant description of the keyconcepts in fm7+

http://www.digfm.org/ref/FM7_key_concepts.pdf

--sd

Since you:

1) describe a basic functionality of any RDBMS--i.e., the ability to display a data element from a related table

2) describe basically how that's accomplished in FM, and

3) intimate that you have experience using FM

therefore it's probably good for you to attach your file so we can check out what's going on.

David

This topic is 6309 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.