Need to create an auto calculation based on a combination of entries from separate pop-up menus?

This topic is 6332 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to create a business database. The product is storage buildings. I have 2 problems.

1. The buildings come in 8 styles and each style comes in 20 sizes.

Can I make a price field that will depend on a combination of pop-up menus. i.e. that a UMB (bldg. style) in a 10x20 size will produce a different price than a CMB in a 10x20 size. I need to make a number (price) automatically enter as a result of selecting 2 or more values in separate fields as opposed to having 160 (8x20) separate fields

2. There are 3 kinds of sale - Wholesale, Retail, Rent to Own. Using a common database can I select Retail and not have any data entered in the Rent to Own layout. The Rent to Own is an auto generated form that calculates the price of the building (less deposit) and divides the balance into 36 payments. I think it will be confusing if such a layout is accessible when someone is paying in full at time of puchase. Thanks. -th

I would prefab all combinations in a different table, and use a multicriteria relation to bring in the relevant price, by selecting via the popups, although there might be a default always loading. But one issue is pending is the record issued as an offer, send as a historic document or is it only some kind of guidance to phoners ...the distinction would lead to either a live relation or a lookup.

--sd

You can have multiple layouts using the same table that have different fields displayed, this seems to me like more of a design issue to get this to "flow" nicely for your users.

Whether a design like that would make the most sense (from a relationally point-of-view) would depend on your intentions for your data going forward.

This topic is 6332 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.