Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Expert Opinions Needed

gbrown

This topic is 6333 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am evaluating FMPro for a project. This project is a many-to-many solution with two parent tables and numerous child tables. All tables except one of the parent tables will be on local machines. The one parent table will be on a remote host and will be read only. I'm thinking that since it is a a read only table I may be able to use a VPN instead of FMPro server? As I understand it the runtime of FMPro cannot access a remote file?:o This means I would need to purchase a copy of FMPro for every user. As I could have 500 - 1000 users this won't work. Any other ideas of how I could do this within FMPro? Any ideas of other solutions that might work for this? I've looked into using the FMPro server over the web but it's 100 user limit kind of kills that. Since I only need to share one table that is read only I'm thinking there must be a way to do this.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Depending on the functionalities that the users will need, you might want to look at Custom Web Publishing using either fx.PHP or fm.Net. Information and contacts on both are available if you want to contact me back channel.

My initial impression is that this business of splitting files between local and remote is not a particularly good idea. But there isn't enough information in your post to say definitely one way or the other. And the VPN has no real bearing on this. If you are using runtimes, then you won't be able to use the runtime engine to access the file anyway.

HTH

Steven

This topic is 6333 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.