Runtime solution

NThomas

This topic is 6337 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I created a very small application using FM8.5 Advanced and once the runtime solution was created, my application weighs approx. 50 megs with all the DLLs. The application weighs 20 megs zipped. Do I really need all the DLLs and can I reduce the size using another method?

Thank you.

From an investigation I made a few months ago:

unused dictionaries and language packs can be removed from the FMP Runtime Resources directory (in the FileMaker program directory) prior to building runtimes on Windows machines. The resulting runtimes are approximately 25 megabytes smaller.

.. Seriously, unless you have a real issue that can be forced to be escalated to a higher level of support... Or want to know how to put a field on a layout, FM Tech support won't help you, it's a waste of your credit(s).

Besides, what's so bad about 10mb? That's TINY by today's standards, even on a 56kbps connection (do people still have those?) It's like a half hour download, no one expects software to be smaller than that...

Have this application serious Photoshop eyecandy in each layout? Relying on the native vectorized graphics will make it smaller ...similar should unicode glyphs be utilized instead of repeating containerfields for ushering in graphic niftyness - be utilized where posible, since it allocates the load to the OS.

--sd

This topic is 6337 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.