Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Hi I might be the pefect example of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing... I have created a set of related db for my biz which consist of 5 related files. The main (central?) db consists of

This topic is 6294 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi

I might be the pefect example of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

I have created a set of related db for my biz which consist of 5 related files. The main (central?) db consists of 400 distinct items with an associated key code and several other fixed criteria.

When entering new items into my inventory db, I type the qty and then the key code which displays info from the related central Db, and I then enter variable info such as year class, size, and condition. I do this by creating a new record for each entry which is quite convenient at inventory time.

Now as my inventory keeps growing each year (plants) I have dozens of records under each of the 400 distinct items and no way to see at a glance just how many of each year class or size I have of each of the 400 items without multiple sorts and manually adding the totals.

I'm thinking the best way to handle this problem would be to add summary field to the inventory db and create a new "display" db with repeating fields for each of the 400 distinct items, which I could then sort however I needed.

I'm also guessing that I may be re-inventing the wheel, and hoping that someone could set me straight... Hope my lack of knowledge isn't so confusing that nobody will be able to understand what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

Frank

This topic is 6294 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.