Allowing a duplicate value in a unique value field

This topic is 6254 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am trying to re-create a record that I was previously erased. Before attempting to recreate the record I searched for the "catalog number", but did not find the number in that database or any of the other related databases. After re-entering the data into "catalog number", I receive an error message:

"Catalog Number:" is defined to contain unique values only. Allow this duplicate value?

If I say yes, I can enter the rest of the information in, but I cannot complete the record. To complete the record, I run a script related to "catalog number":

Go to field [Catalog Number]

Relookup Field Contents [no dialogue; Catalog Number]

Whenever I run the script, it shuts down FileMaker.

I think my script problem stems from the duplicate value in the "catalog number" field. If I could find the duplicate value I would erase it, but I cannot find it. Any information would be appreciated to solve either one of my problems.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks.

Theresa

FileMaker shutting down unexpectedly would suggest you may be dealing with a corrupted file. This would also be consistent with

If possible, do this:

1) export all your data from the offending FileMaker file to text or Excel format files.

2) zip the offending FileMaker file (in case you need it again), then throw away the original .fp7

3) find a backup of the FileMaker file, from before the problem occurred

4) open it and save as clone so you then have a copy with no data in

5) reimport the data. Is your duplicate value problem still there? Does it still crash?

Let us know how you get on...

James

• Newbies

I tried changing the catalog number field to a non-unique value, which did not work.

This problem has been occurring for over a year, I do not think it is possible to find a backup file that does not have this problem.

Thank you for your input, but I'll likely hire a contractor to look at the problem.

When you performed the search. Did filemaker say "No records match this..." or when you searched did something come up, but it was the wrong catalog #?

If the ladder is true, I would say catalog # is a repeating value, with that value that you're searching for in a repetition that you have hidden.

If the former is true, then thats obviously not the case.

• Newbies

Prior to recreating the record, I performed a search for the original record. No records matched the search.

Now I think my problem may relate to the relation between our location database and our general database. They are connected by catalog number. I found out the other day, not only am I having problems updating our current location (a script based on lookup in the location portal field) in the general database, and blank locations in the location database that I can not update.

I don't know why my database is all messed up. At least it is holding a majority of my information.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Could you post a file for us to look at?

Normally we'd suggest removing data from it but as it's the data that's the problem, it's probably best to leave it there.

If you like I'll sign a confidentiality agreement and you can send the file direct to me...

James

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6254 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.