automating/scripting the sharing

This topic is 6231 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm completely new to peer to peer sharing... is there a way to automate the process of opening and hosting the file (or opening as a client) that would make it transparent to the user?

Here's what I have in mind: I have only two users on two PCs in a peer to peer network.

Assume both PCs are always up and running.

I'd like either one of them to be able to run the solution without knowing or caring whether they are hosting or using as client. In other words: it just works.

Looked at some script steps but it appears that they only open dialogs that then require user input... and it looks like the user would have to know whether to host it or try to use it as client. Any way to avoid that?

Also, related to that: if I turn sharing on in the file, does it stay on regardless of the priv. set or who opens it first?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I have the same problems with hosting. I'm using one machine for the host, and always end up with two versions of each database on that machine. So if I go to the menu item Window, I see:

Menu,

DB1,

DB2

Menu 2 [host]

DB1 2 [host]

DB2 2[host].

Surely I should see just either the one list or the other? Is the host machine "seeing" itself?

On the client machine, it works fine.

Is this to do with the file path descriptions?

Driving me mad, v grateful for help!

This topic is 6231 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.