Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Suggestions/templates for documenting FileMaker applications

This topic is 6171 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there,

I need to learn about standard practices for creating system and user documentation for my FileMaker applications.

Are there any books you would recommend I read, and/or are there any templates out there anyone would be able to point me to ?

One thing I don't have the luxury of is a ton of time to devote to documentation. I realize how terribly important it is, but I am hoping to learn how to document in the most efficient, fluff-free way.

Any suggestions/advice anyone can offer would be appreciated.

thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I use FileMaker's commenting capabilities extensively and this meets 95% of my documentation requirements. I comment every single field, custom function and script, and any calculation field that may not be easily understood at a glance. The coolest part about having the documentation in the database where it corresponds to the item in question is that whichever item you're looking at has its workings spelled out right in front of you. Kind of like if you were working on a motor and every part you touched revealed a comment about that part.

Now, if only FileMaker would expand its commenting capbilities to include value lists, tables, file references and relationships.

It's really easy to spend heaps of time and money creating user doeumentation that is useless.

The best bet is to create task-oriented materials. Short-ish articles that explain how to perform specific user tasks.

Don't do "How to perform a find" articles -- users can learn this stuff from their peers, or run a 30 minute work place training session. Instead do articles on "How to print a purchase order" or "How to send e-mail messages to customers with overdue accounts".

Users want to know stuff that helps them get their work done, not what each and every icon on the main data entry screen does.

• 2 months later...

This topic is 6171 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.