Freeware FMP Graphics Cataloguer solution needed.

Diana, Cda

This topic is 6280 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi.

I've been looking for one of these for a while now with no luck.

Need ability to scan folders/subfolders and make list of graphics files there. Automatically generate a "thumbnail" of each pic that is just a reference to the pic not the actual pic itself.

That would have a few fields where one could assign a category to each pic and to assign search keywords easily and to have a comments box for any misc comments.

Just looking first before starting gargantuan task of writing my own.

Thanks. :oD

Edited by Guest
Outdated OS info.

We don't know the reasons why you're attempting to do this with FileMaker 6, but unless you are trapped within an organization that refuses to upgrade (even with a gun to their head :)-), I would upgrade to 8.5. Its abilities when dealing with external files are so much better (than the almost nothing you have in 6). There are also plug-ins available for FileMaker 7+ to do file manipulation.

Other reasons for upgrading would be the ability to use portals to create "contact sheet" layouts. There is a free file here in the Sample Files which does this, using a repeating calculation and GetNthRecord, to automatically show a contact sheet of the found set, without scripting. It sounds complicated, but it is simple in operation.

That all being said, there was a free photo template distributed with FileMaker 6, which did pretty well, as far as it went. Look in your examples folder. It used a creative preview/browse mode copy/paste method to create the contact sheet. Kind of pain to modify however. I'm afraid I've tossed all those.

About the thumbnails. I kind of wonder why you wouldn't let FileMaker create the thumbnail, using Import Folder. This creates and embeds a 128x128 thumbnail (which is a pretty small file size). If you want to use a "reference only" thumbnail, then you'd have to use Import Folder twice, once on the folder of thumnails, once on the large images. You'd have to use the "Matching Records" option, in order to get them into the same records. Of course, if you want something other than a 128x128 thumbnail, then you'd have do something like that.

I found a modified version of the Photo Catalog for FileMaker 5-6, which I'd modified for a client. It is much like FileMaker's original, but I took out some of the stuff, and I added something which I think the original should have had, which was the ability to go "backwards" when viewing successive contact sheets.

Photos_fej.fp5.zip

We don't know the reasons why you're attempting to do this with FileMaker 6, but unless you are trapped within an organization that refuses to upgrade (even with a gun to their head :)-), I would upgrade to 8.5. Its abilities when dealing with external files are so much better (than the almost nothing you have in 6). There are also plug-ins available for FileMaker 7+ to do file manipulation.
Yes, well, thank you. The organization is me. The reason why ... money. When I have some that I can spare, I'll upgrade. So I guess this is a no go, huh?

Other reasons for upgrading would be the ability to use portals to create "contact sheet" layouts. There is a free file here in the Sample Files which does this, using a repeating calculation and GetNthRecord, to automatically show a contact sheet of the found set, without scripting. It sounds complicated, but it is simple in operation..
Sounds promising. But again, I only have FMP6.

That all being said, there was a free photo template distributed with FileMaker 6, which did pretty well, as far as it went. Look in your examples folder. It used a creative preview/browse mode copy/paste method to create the contact sheet. Kind of pain to modify however. I'm afraid I've tossed all those.
Thanks for this. No, it doesn't do what's needed but I'm keeping it for future potential future use.

About the thumbnails. I kind of wonder why you wouldn't let FileMaker create the thumbnail, using Import Folder. This creates and embeds a 128x128 thumbnail (which is a pretty small file size). If you want to use a "reference only" thumbnail, then you'd have to use Import Folder twice, once on the folder of thumnails, once on the large images. You'd have to use the "Matching Records" option, in order to get them into the same records. Of course, if you want something other than a 128x128 thumbnail, then you'd have do something like that.

No thumbnails needed. Just need viewer capabilities to the catalogue portion. I'm currently using the freeware Cat-Photo (also goes under the name Win-Photo) but it's only showing JPGs at this time. Also, there is no search function. So meanwhile, have been looking for an existing FMP solution. I didn't rate my chances very high but since one never knows, felt it was worth a try to see if there was an existing graphics cataloguer already done up in FMP.

Thanks. Appreciate the help.

This topic is 6280 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.