Server Maintenance This Week. ×

non-filemaker user needs remote access help

This topic is 6251 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

hey there. my name is james, and i'm in the states. i am assisting some friends with their filemaker issues, having given them the caveat that i'm ignorant to filemaker. they still want my help just because i have some knowledge of networking.

so, here is where i am at. they are running a local airport mac network (absent a server) all on 10.4.9. each machine has filemaker pro 8.5. what they want to do is be able to access the database for development remotely.

my understanding was that such a move would require me setting up a static ip. so here is what i have done so far. i set up static dns service with dyndns.com. i have the airport's port 80 mapped over to the host's ip addy. i have my dyndns client open and running set to "external", and i have filemaker pro set to all kinds of sharing. but, when i go to another machine on another network, i simply cannot open the database. can aomebody who is saintly and kind give me a little walk through of what i may be doing wrong?

thanks to all and have a wonderful day.

• Newbies

alrightie. now, i think i understand that filemaker uses that port 5003 (and a couple of others, right? 50003 and 50006?). the reason i put port mapping on the airport basestation was i wanted a particular computer (the "host" computer) to use the same ip assigned by the isp as opposed to it's private ip. i was under the idea that to do that move it had to be port 80 that i mapped, and that i just had to be sure that ports 5003, 50003, and 50006 were open.

i'm hope i'm being explicit enough about my thought, because i know that i'm screwing something up. if i'm wrong about any of that, genx, as it likely i may be, please let me know.

as it is, i won't have a chance to look at this issue again until friday of next week. thanks for the leads so far...

This topic is 6251 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.