Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Sharing?

This topic is 6213 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

;) Hi, I'm an archaeologist working for the first time with FileMaker on my ongoing masters thesis. I was always looking for a way to truly share information between different computers since the ammount of data we have to organize is so big its impossible for one person to handle. So, I'm hosting my database with Filemaker Pro 7 and i have a client on another computer using FM Pro 8. Both can see the text and work in both computers and so far sharing seems fine but the graphics, pictures, buttons and other graphic content just appear as "missing" in my client computer. Do I have to copy everything there? I thought that was the whole point of having it shared on the first place? what's not working?

thanks!

There could be a couple of things: graphic data stored in cotainer fields needs to either be embedded into the records, or stored in a shared volume that is accessible to all (with an idntical path) and then linked into the records. At a guess I say they are stored on somebody's local hard disk and then linked.

If you also mean that interface images and buttons on layouts are not appearing, how are they stored? If they are in global fields (a common technique) then the globals may need to be loaded for each user.

;) hmm.. how can I create a shared volume? In order to keep the size of the file small I didn't embed anything on the DB... I hope I can still fix this in some way. please help!!!

thanks a lot!

This topic is 6213 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.