FM WPE Question...

This topic is 6188 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi!

We have a system were FMWPE and FMSA 8 is installed on two computers, we have the problem that if FMWPE goes down or that computer crashes our onlineshop stops working. I want to know if i can install FMWPE on another machine and have that pointing to the same Filemaker Server just for standby?

Regards Joakim Sjöberg

Your question is exactly what I've been investigating the past few days, and here's what I've determined:

For a single install of FMSA, you can use one install of WPE; you can't connect to FMSA with two installs of WPE. I'm upgrading one of our web servers here, and wanted to have two installs of WPE (one on the old machine which is still running, and a 2nd install of WPE on the new machine, to which we're moving); however, FMSA won't allow the 2nd install of WPE to connect.

In FMSA Admin, it *appears* that multiple copies of WPE can be used, because the heading over the WPE username/password says "FileMaker Web Publishing Engines" (plural); however, after puzzling over this, I've come to the realization that this isn't possible. I would guess that this is planned for the future, but it's apparently not possible now.

I've never seen WPE crash here; in fact, I would have no way to know that it crashed, since it doesn't present anything to the user that shows it's even running... are you sure your crashing is due to WPE and not some other application running on that machine?

Bob Patin

Longterm Solutions

Associate Member of FileMaker Business Alliance

[email protected]

615-333-6858

http://www.longtermsolutions.com

CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:

AIM or iChat: longterm1954

Yahoo: longterm_solutions

MSN: [email protected]

Edited by Guest

I think its a but if scenario...

no FMWPE dosen´t crash, but IF

... but frankly, if your data is that critical, instead of wasting more money on FileMaker, buy some decent business continuity software like DoubleTake

Well it is.. reasonably you can expect hour by hour backups, but if you want up to the minute, then you really are better off looking at some additional software rather than trying to make FM do something its not meant to (though that is usually quite fun).

This topic is 6188 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.