How do I display a selected record?

Derry

This topic is 6190 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have selected a record in a portal. Now I want to go to another layout in which I have set up all the editable fields I want the user to be able to access (these are not portal fields). Programatically, I would like to say, go to such-and-such a layout and display the record whose (say) companyID field = $$ID. This seems like such a basic request, I'm almost ashamed to ask for help. I'm an experienced programmer, but I'm still wet behind the ears in Filemaker.

Hi Derry, if I understood you correctly you want to view/edit the record that is selected in the portal in another layout?

If this is correct place a button in the portal row and in Button Setup add the "GTRR" Go To Related Record" details.

If this is not correct can you post more info or a sample file?

Edited by Guest

• Newbies

Thanks for your reply. I will certainly explore GTRR to see if I can get it to work for me.

The setup I have is as follows: I have a "Company List" layout showing the names and locations of companies in a portal. When the user selects a portal row it highlights, then two new buttons appear at the top of the layout. (1) "Show Record" takes you to a "Company Details" layout which displays details about the company in one portal, a listing of contacts in another, and details of a selected contact in yet another. It sounds cluttered, but it works fine. (2) The second button is labled "Edit", and what I'm wanting to do is go to a layout which displays just the selected record. I want to be able to say... go to the "Edit Company" layout, and display the company whose ID = the ID of the company selected in the portal row.

The "Go to Record/Request/Page by calculation" looked like a promising candidate, but I just don't understand how to use it (no meaningful examples anywhere). Also, I'm ashamed to say, I haven't been able to get "Perform Find" to .... display the company whose ID = the ID of the company selected in the portal row.

Once again, thanks for taking the trouble of responding.

It sounds like your problem is that by clicking on a button OUTSIDE the portal, you're losing focus to the portal row, hence it no longer knows which row (related record) to go to.

So you've got 2 choices. First, and most usual, is put the button INSIDE the portal row. Then FileMaker knows which, and a Go To Related Record [ portal relationship ] will work.

Or you could click on the row, whose field(s) are a button, to set a global field to the ID of the row in the portal. Then your button outside the portal could assume that was the right one, and use a relationship to go related record (similar, but based on the global).

The reason I say "assume"; what happens when they first come to the layout? Do you clear the global? If so, and you use the "visibility" trick* to hide the button(s) until the global has a valid value, then it would work pretty well. The buttons would only appear when a valid choice was made. If you combined this with a highlight of the portal row, you'd have a "politically correct" user interface** :-]

But you'd have to clear the highlight upon coming to the layout, and it could not persist if you went to the next record (unless still valid).

Why are the Companies in a portal to begin with? Why not a list? Is it a filtered portal? What table is it in?

*(which it sounds like you know about, but I'd be a little surprised since you say you're new FileMaker).

**according to Apple Human Interface Guidelines (I think). A selection is made, it is visually apparent, action buttons appear connected to the choice, the user has a clear idea what will happen; even if he didn't know how you did it.

• Newbies

Dear Fenton

Thanks for your reply. I am indeed a Filemaker newcomer, working on my first database. My main problem is that I am working on it only when I have some free time... not good, and my biggest frustration is not being able to find examples of code use, and good code practice. I think if you saw my file you would quickly recognise my "Beginner" status. I have however, had many enjoyable years in the programming world, including 11 years in software development in San Diego in the 70's and 80's (Rancho Bernardo, Sorrento Valley, and Torrey Pines -- all divisions of NCR).

I need to think about what you have said. I really appreciate the trouble you have taken in responding to my request, and I wouldn't expect any more of your time. But if you would like to see my work-in-progress, warts and all, I would be happy to send the file, exposing my novice status in the process :-)

Kind Regards

Derry

This topic is 6190 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.